Friday, November 06, 2009

Out Of The Ether

In the last few months, because of my repeated postings on Facebook regarding Paranormal Activity and Trick r Treat, a number of people have asked me where the hell I'd heard of these things. The sad truth is that I spend a number of hours every week scouring the internet for news of films I think will be interesting. There are a few film related sites I visit almost daily. There are others I check up on more or less weekly.

I've been trying to come up with some new things to do with Bleed For It, and it occurred to me that I might be able to do a service to some of my film fanatic friends who don't have time to pour over film websites for tidbits of information. I don't think it's only a matter of interest, for a number of people it's also a matter of time. Maybe you have kids or a job that requires many long hours, or maybe it's some other variety of interest which takes up good chunks of your time. You can have any and all of these things and still be a film fanatic, just one without as much time for news about what's going on, what's coming, what's getting squashed and so on in the movie community. Maybe you're not really very internet savvy.

I've decided that a few times a week I'm going to start putting together a list of links to news regarding films I'm interested in following or that I think some of the folks who'd be reading this might be interested in. It won't be devoted entirely to horror films either. Even the most avid of horror film fanatics are interested in other kinds of films as well. There will be plenty of Sci-Fi, , fantasy, and other genre goodness. Out Of The Ether is going to be my attempt at separating the wheat from the chaff so far as movie news is concerned and delivering as much of it to you, dear reader, as I can find over a few days period. If you come across something you think I should mention or you'd like to see me start covering regularly, give me a shout and let me know. I'll try to keep it as spoiler free as possible and notify you if I know there are spoilers of any variety in the article I link to. Personally, as much as I like to know what's going on, what kinds of deals are being made, what films are coming out, what films have been dropped from production or distribution, I hate to know too much about a movie when I see it. I'd rather have a general idea of what a film is about and get to go in and experience the story and so on as it unfolds.

Coming to theaters tomorrow is The Box. Directed by Richard Kelly, the writer/director of the superb Donnie Darko and the down right annoying Southland Tales, I have hope for this film specifically because it is adapted from a story by the icon Richard Matheson. Matheson was a regular writer for the Twilight Zone television series, and wrote some incredible books including "I Am Legend", "The Shrinking Man", and "Hell House." Bloody Disgusting has an interview with Kelly about his new film. CLICK HERE to read it. I'm a fan big Donnie Darko fan, so I'll check this out sometime in the next few days. Expect a review. It's also worth noting that Kelly is a Virginia native, having apparently grown up in Midlothian.

Reviews for The Box-
Also hitting theaters tomorrow is The Fourth Kind, starring Milla Jovovich. Apparently a yarn about alien abduction (from what the trailers are more or less suggesting), and being touted as "based on a true story". I'm not sure what to make of it, but there are some genuinely unsettling looking moments in the trailer. We'll see. I might try to catch this one this coming week. 

Here are some reviews:
Rumors about a sequel to Paranormal Activity  are swirling. No one is saying much of anything other than "we're thinking about it". Even though I think a sequel is doomed before it starts, I'll keep you up to date should any details start to emerge. I'm sure it's only a matter of time considering it's now become the most profitable film of all time. Yes, the most profitable film, ever.

Dread Central has a collection of interesting articles to check out. As if further proof were needed, Hollywood's need to push things beyond cultural saturation into the land of inevitable backlash has another example with the upcoming Amy Heckerling film Vamps. Heckerling has previously found success with Fast Time At Ridgemont High, Clueless, and according to Dread Central, the Look Who's Talking films. Why am I not excited about this?

In news of the, "Excuse me? Did you just say what I think you just said?" variety, Kelly McGillis turns up in a new vampire flick called Stake Land, also starring Danielle Harris (Halloween 4,5,6 and Rob Zombie's Halloween and Rob Zombie's Halloween 2...... a favorite among male horror fans). The trailer looks interesting.

One part of me wants to get excited about this. Another part of me wants to find the home of the studio executive who said this guy was a good idea for this movie and burn it to the ground. Marcus Nispel, of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday the 13th remakes is set to direct a new Conan film. Here is a plot synopsis and sales art. I enjoyed the TCM remake, even though I was sure I wouldn't, but I thoroughly deplored the Friday The 13th remake, and I mean thoroughly as in absolutely and completely. There was nothing about that film worth seeing. And I loved the hell out of some Conan movies as a little kid, so I just don't know what to think about this. I will probably try to read one or two of the actual books, because from what I understand, they are great reads.

/Film has a great article relating to Hollywood trying to save it's dying ass via anti-piracy technology which is a little too Big Brother-ish for my tastes. Read that HERE.

If you're a fan of Brett Easton Ellis (writer of the book "American Psycho", which was later adapted as the film that brought Christian Bale to stardom), you're in for good news. Bait is his latest screenplay, Bloody Disgusting has the story.

I'm really looking forward to the big screen adaptation of the Mark Millar and John Romita Jr.'s comic sensation Kick Ass. The three comics which were my favorites growing up have already been adapted to the big screen, and as much as I love those stories and some of those films, Kick Ass might just be a concept which lends itself to the big screen much more easily. The first set of character one sheets have shown up at IGN. If you're a fan of super hero films, action movies and/or fantasy films, this is something to be excited about.

Last and definitely least, the American Film Market is currently under way. If you're not familiar, follow the link behind the name to the Wiki page, explaining all. Anyway, one more piece of news comes out of this capitalist blood orgy of cinema- the sales art for Scream 4. No, that's not a joke. Follow the link and find the art and some more on the story over at Shock Till You Drop.

And.... I'm spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments should be respectful. Taking a playful poke at me is one thing (I have after all chosen to put my opinion out there), but trolling and attacking others who are commenting won't be accepted.